Located down a private alley in one of the Loop's smallest and oldest buildings, this 275 sf coffee shop is the third location for Asado Coffee Roasters. The three-story building dates back to just after the Chicago Fire of 1871.
The existing exposed brick walls revealed remnants of aged character and a history through the building’s past various users, which needed preserved. New concrete floors and columns/beams are complimented by a warm reclaimed oak wine barrel wall, covering a new base building stairwell. Oak counter tops pay homage to the once meat chop house space. Handmade concrete tiles with floral patterns are used on the counter base while irregularly spaced bright yellow cloth-wire pendant lights and yellow linear shelving accent the volume. The rough, yet simplistic space is refined further with a gorgeous Dutch espresso machine, stainless refrigerators and grinders, industrial scissor-extension accordion wall lamps, various built-in shelving and display areas, and the sounds of vinyl records over classic speakers.
Although the size of the shop would not allow seating inside, the space is very inviting and visible now for pedestrians walking along Jackson Blvd. The interior coffee shop build-out provides a warm glow down the brick paved alley, lined by café tables and overhead wired lights (base building element), thus creating a welcoming street entry.